Thursday, January 3, 2013

On Progress and Consistency

We're not big fans of blinking Christmas lights at our house.  I think I grew up with "blinkers" of various types — large and small, colored and clear.  But perhaps because of my wife's southern heritage and east-coast upbringing, we ended up with more simple and traditional decorations.  We use only steady white lights on our simple tree, and I like it that way.

I suppose the blinking of Christmas lights is intended to simulate the flickering of a candle (used as decorations when my mother was a child in Germany), or maybe the twinkling of stars.  Maybe it's just a gimmick to attract more attention.  But this year, another analogy came to my mind.

We all try to remember each year that Christmas really is about the One who long ago said of Himself, "I am the light of the world" (John 8:12).  He invited his followers to "come, follow me" and in fact told them, "Ye are the light of the world" (Matthew 5:14).  He is the original light, and invites us to be as He was and is.  Part of Nephi's spiritual tutoring included hearing the voice of the Son say to him, "...follow me, and do the things which ye have seen me do" (2 Ne 31:12).

Disciples of Christ spend their lives attempting to do just that.  We begin by teaching our little children in song, "Try, try to be like Him; try, try, try" (Children's Songbook, 55).  Later in life, we ask ourselves "What would Jesus do?" and try to do likewise.

As I ponder my life, I have come to the realization that I occasionally do really well in following Jesus.  There are times when I feel His approval, and feel the joy of walking in His steps.  There are times when I think I really am doing what He would have me do.  It's a wonderful feeling, a feeling of joy and light.

And then, there are the times in between.  It's not that I have great challenges with disobedience or rebellion; but there are plenty of times when perhaps I'm too self-centered, or naive, not motivated by the right things, not making the best choices, judging hastily.  I'm like that blinking light: sometimes flashing brightly, but in between, not giving off much light at all.  My lack isn't knowing how to truly follow Him; it's the ability to do it consistently and continuously instead of intermittently.  My light blinks much more than I wish it did.

I think the process of conversion may be the process of gradually shortening the gaps between flashes of light.  When more and more of our life is shining forth as He would, then we're becoming more and more like Him.  In our dispensation, the Lord said to Joseph, "That which is of God is light; and he that receiveth light, and continueth in God, receiveth more light; and that light groweth brighter and brighter until the perfect day" (D&C 50:24).  What a perfect image of a growing, progressing strength in following Him.

Another way to describe this process is Moroni's wonderful phrase, "Yea, come unto Christ, and be perfected in him, and deny yourselves of all ungodliness..." (Moroni 10:32).  As we remove the ungodliness from our life (with His help), the only thing left is godliness.  Then the light shines continuously.

Disciples of Christ are those who are disciplined in following Him with consistency.  He asks us to be not mere hearers of the word, but doers in every way possible (James 1:22-25).  Our weekly renewal of sacred covenants is not to occasionally remember Him, but to always remember Him.  We don't love God in the portions of our life where it's convenient, but we love Him with all our heart, might, mind, and strength (D&C 59:5).  We offer our "whole souls" as an offering unto Him (Omni 1:26).

Then, truly, we join Him as a light shining in the darkness.

1 comment:

Wendi said...

Thank you for sharing this. I appreciate your insights. I'm thankful that I'm more consistent in my discipleship than I used to be. And I will continue to try to improve. :)