Sunday, September 22, 2013

The Shoulders of Giants: Blessed by noble examples

After I was sustained to serve as a counselor in the stake presidency in June 2004, I was invited to offer brief remarks.  On that occasion I recalled the words of the 18th-century English scientist Isaac Newton, describing his discoveries and achievements, and paying tribute to his predecessors: "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."  I paraphrased that thought to say in anticipation, "If we achieve anything our presidency it will be because we stand on the shoulders of giants."  I was referring on that occasion to the wonderful brethren who had preceded us in the callings, whom I admired greatly – Dan Judd, David Glazier, and Ray Smith.

Over the course of the 9 1/2 years that followed, I realized there was quite a different, and perhaps more accurate, adaptation of Newton's thought. While I still have the greatest admiration for those who serve in callings of leadership, I now perceive that anyone who serves in a calling such as this in the Church really stands on the shoulders of the hundreds and hundreds of faithful, dedicated members in his stewardship.  They are the real giants, the ones who courageously carry the Lord's work forward in wonderful ways.  And this is particularly true of the stake I was privileged to serve in – Orem Utah Canyon View.

During the course of my service, I saw "giants" who:
  • Accepted challenging callings and served well beyond expectations, often devoting tremendous time and energy at great personal sacrifice – striving to truly magnify the calling by being creative, innovative, and diligent
  • Served faithfully, to the best of their ability and beyond, no matter the setting – in front of a congregation or in a tiny classroom with a few small children
  • Dealt with personal tragedy and loss, including death due to accident or disease
  • Were confronted with serious or chronic personal or family illness, both physical and emotional
  • "Senior" members dealing with problems of aging, failing health, and/or companions who passed away
  • Divorced members dealing with lost dreams, complicated lives, hard struggles – but still were full of faith and hope in the Gospel
  • Members who had faith to heal or be healed
  • Members who had faith NOT to be healed (Elder Bednar's stunning insight shared earlier this year in a CES fireside)
  • A member, dealing with ongoing hardships, who said, "At all times, for every person, in every situation, the answer is always the Gospel."
  • Members who showed great love for the temple and its spirit – who exemplified Brigham Young's entreaty, "Let the fire of the covenant which you made in the House of the Lord, burn in your hearts, like a flame unquenchable."
  • Members whose motto was "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." (Prov 3:5-6)
  • Members whose motto was "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." (Philippians 4:13)
  • Members who understood what it means to "offer your whole souls as an offering unto him" (Omni 26)
  • Members who eagerly and willingly sought instruction and correction – truly "easy to be entreated" (Alma 7:23)
  • Members who frequently stepped forward to offer in Caleb-like humility, "Give me this mountain" (Joshua 14:12)
  • Members whose faith and trust were unconditional and pure - "But if not..." (Daniel 3:18)
Among the great blessings of serving in a stake calling certainly is the chance to meet so many giants, to be inspired by them, to see further because for a moment or two we can stand on their shoulders.  I was very grateful for the way that opportunity impacted my life through 9 1/2 years in the Orem Utah Canyon View Stake; I'm certainly a better man because of the period of enhanced vision, and I pray the benefits will linger for the rest of my time on earth.

1 comment:

Judy said...

Nice to see you back in the blogosphere.